A Job in Demolition – What does it involve?
Many people may join the industry as a result of losing a job, looking for a career change or a you may want to apply for an apprenticeship. Downwell are a National Federation of Demolition Contractors accredited Demolition Company and you can obtain some excellent advice by them by clicking here.
You will start as a demolition operative and the work will involve travelling to different sites which could be around the country or in a localised area dependent one where the demolition contractor operates. A lot of the time the work will involve being outdoors for a lot of the time.
The work will include a variety of tasks that you will be trained to do and be given appropriate clothing including:
• Picking out materials for recycling as the building is demolished
• Stripping out buildings of fixtures and fittings manually and with use of hand tools. These will include doors, windows, roof tiles and flooring
• Operating water sprays to control dust
Qualifications to start on site
A job in demolition will require you to train and apply for the following:
CCDO Demolition Labourers Card
Before you are allowed to go on site you will be required to qualify for a CCDO Demolition Labourers Card.
You will also have to take an asbestos awareness course.
This card will allow you to perform labouring duties under the guidance of a Topman or Supervisor. These include:
- General labouring duties under supervision as directed
- Assist teams of CCDO Demolition Refurbishment Operatives and CCDO Topmen in the clearing arising from the demolition processes being undertaken and ensure the correct segregation of wastes prior to removal from the demolition site.
- Assist in the soft strip function under the supervision of a Chargehand or Supervisor as required.
Details of the apprenticeship scheme for those aged 16-65 and details can also be found here
Progression after initial training
CCDO Demolition and Refurbishment Card (Red 3 Year)
Once you have two years experience you can then move up to CCDO Demolition and Refurbishment Operative by taking a one day course with the NTDG
and this is a 3 year card. Your duties will include:
- The demolition of non-load bearing structures.
- The removal of fixtures, fittings, and fully isolated M&E.
- Using mechanical hand tools and will carry out additional skills training such as working at height where required.
- Segregate materials for recycling.
CCDO Demolition and Refurbishment Card (Blue 5 Year)
This is the next step and will involve taking a Level 2 Demolition & Refurbishment NVQ.through the NTDG
From here you can the progress to roles with more responsibility which are Topman and Chargehand before becoming a Supervisor where you will be responsible for a demolition site.
Full details are available at the NTDG Site
Where do you go next?
Once you have gained a knowledge of the workings of demolition you can either train to be a site supervisor leading on to become a project or contracts manager.
The other route will be become a demolition machine operator.
At Downwell every member of our workforce has a training record and will be trained to carry out the tasks required to complete your work. Our priority is always Health and Safety and will always make our workforce is trained to the highest standards.